Sunday, September 5, 2010

What's the point?

I started the blog because my lovely wife got interested in blogging and I thought I would find out how hard it was to start one and then I starting posting because I thought it wold be fun and then I started doing actual research because something inside me told me that if I was going to spout my opinions I should be able to back it up ... and then it all went wrong.

What had once be cathartic was giving me heart burn. Finding out that the US was going to invade Yemen was stressful, watching the media help by making Yemen out to be evil gave me high blood pressure ... and then when I realized that noone really cared, I had a heart attack. I wrote about and tell people about Bechtel’s involvement in war in central Africa and noone cares. So now I have to ask, why?
What is it about our collective psyche that allows us to worry about sports teams and gas prices and gay marriage and the “immigrant problem” and simultaneously allows us to shrug off the deaths of innocents? Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan, Pakistan ... we deliver death all over the world.
Muslims want to build a mosque at “ground zero” and we are outraged. I don’t really care, but one of the reasons given for the Imam behind the project being a “radical islamist” is because he once suggested that the United States shared some of the blame for 9-11. I’m sorry but if you come to my house and kill my wife and then my kids grow up and decide to kill your kids to avenge the death of their mother you share some of the blame! Do we really think that the orphans we leave behind are going to love the west?
I don’t know. I wish that you cared about war crimes and death, I wish that you could see that your government has used your patriotism and the blood of your children to “open markets” for profit expansion ... I wish you didn’t believe it made any difference who the president was ... I wish you saw that the entire system was broken and desperately needed to be torn down and rebuilt rather than clinging to history and the sacredness of Americanism. I wish you cared that the “news media” kept you in the dark on purpose to pacify you ... I don’t know if there’s any point in writing, delivering a message that you neither want or intend to allow to change your heart or priorities.

2 comments:

  1. You love to write and I think that you need to remember to write for you. Writing makes you happy. I think that you should write in your blog what you want to write whether or not anyone or everyone agrees. Be true to your self. :) I love you baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your wife! I always read what you have to written. And while I don't necessarily agree with EVERYTHING you write, you always make me think!

    ReplyDelete